Monday, January 27, 2014

Lacquer Legion--January: Reinvention

Soooo, I follow The Nailasaurus on FB, Instagram, and her blog, and she along with a few other bloggers have banded together to give us all prompts each month for nail designs! This months prompt was "Reinvention".

I decided to go for a nail design that represents a caterpillar turning into a butterfly! I'm going to start by telling you the colors so I don't have to type the specific color every single time. The white I used was Essie's blanc, the brown is Zoya's Flynn, the green is China Glaze Highlight of My Summer, orange is China Glaze Peachy Keen, red is Zoya's Lana, and for black I switched between a black nail striper and a black Sally Hansen nail art pen.

Starting with the left hand: Pinky--I started with a white base, then using a dotting tool, I alternated between orange and green spots, drawing them in a squiggly line. Then with my nail art pen, I drew an outline around the dots and drew "hair" on the caterpillars back. Ring finger--I kept it simple and painted it brown. Period. Ha! Middle finger--I alternated orange and green stripes (to look like the caterpillar on the pinky!), then used a nail striper to draw black lines between the colors. Pointer finger--Kept that one simple also with green. Thumb--I started with a white base. Then I drew a "cocoon" with green. Using the nail art pen, I traced around the cocoon, drew a line close to one side, and drew three dots on one side of the line. Using the nail striper, I drew a curved line and a small line to connect the curved line to the cocoon.
Right hand: Thumb--I did a side-to-side ombre nail with the green and orange. To do an ombre nail, paint a stripe of one color on a makeup sponge, then right next to it paint a different colored stripe. Dab the sponge on your nail, moving slightly from side to side to help the color transition (or up and down if you are doing the ombre from top to bottom). Pointer finger--I did a side-to-side ombre nail with orange and red--the thumb and pointer fingers are showing the transition from caterpillar to butterfly! Middle finger--I started with a white base. Then I drew two red dots to make the butterfly wings. Using the nail art pen, I drew the butterfly body and outline of the wings. Using a dotting tool and white, I drew dots on the tips of the wings. Ring finger--kept is simple with brown! Pinky--same idea as the middle finger on the other hand--it's a nail to represent the butterfly from the middle finger! I painted the nail red. Then using the nail art pen, I drew the details of the "wing". Then using a dotting tool and white, I made the dots along the border. I finished everything with a top coat of Seche Vite!

Want to participate in the Lacquer Legion Challenge?? Join the Facebook page--facebook.com/thelacquerlegion You can also follow the girls who created the Lacquer Legion--The Nailasaurus (@thesammersaurus), Rebecca Likes Nails (@rebeccalikesnails), Work/Play/Polish (@workplaypolish), and Chalkboard Nails (@chalkboardnails).

No comments:

Post a Comment